Sunday, April 13, 2008

Keepin' Our Fingers Crossed!!!

This is how our flowerbeds are looking right now! I hope they still look this way in the morning. I would sure hate for them to look this way! The weather men have been calling for a freeze for tonight but I hope dearly that they are going to be wrong 'again'. Things are greening up nicely in my beds and I have been digging and dividing a lot. I have not planted much just yet... hopefully next weekend I can get started! Brad would probably like to have the flowers gone that are sitting around, on the dryer,on the windowsills, on chairs in the dining room, on tables at the windows in the bedroom, in the back of my car...... etc.
As you might guess, I am not by nature a shopper. Not clothes, not shoes, not purses, but look out when spring comes..... my Jimmy stops automatically at all greenhouses. For my pocketbooks' sake I am trying to get a lot of perennials established in my flowerbeds. I will still have to buy some annuals because they provide longer periods of color. This is one of our many friends hiding amid the perennials that are popping up in the gardens. Ha! Brandy will be after me when she sees all the things hanging out in the garden. Hopefully things will be growing fuller and fuller so she won't see quite as many 'things' when she gets home.
Boy, I sure do love Spring! These are just a few of the reasons!
Burning Grass! I think that there is a little pyromaniac in all of us. Just think how pretty and green everything is going to look in a few weeks.

Gorgeous flowers! I just can't get enough of 'lookin at flowers'. They do it for me!

And then there is the Birds! I can't wait for the hummingbirds to come! I know there was a 'sighting' last week. Cold little guy, I guess.

These are actually Hummers from last year but I know that the same ones will surely return to the White house this year. It was quite a sight last year to be able to see the number of birds we had feeding at our feeders. I have also seen Bluebirds out the living room window. I sure hope they are building in the houses. The sparrows have been causing a little bit of a problem in the bluebird house and also in the Martin house. We are just now trying to attract Martins and not being too successful at it as of yet. Between the sparrows and the starlings building in the Martin house we haven't exactly enticed an abundance of Martins. As a matter of fact we have seen zero Martins so far.

That's enough about what I like about spring. Here's what Brad has gotten done in the last couple of weeks. Last weekend we got a skid steer for the day and boy did Brad ever stay 'hooked up'! He built more on the retaining wall behind the house....

hauled Mushroom compost to all of my flower beds...... (and then spread it by hand...yeah!) This was a job I was sure I was going to get to do but when I got home from work Monday it was done. Now all I have to do with it is stir it into the beds. He hauled dirt to the new bed he built a couple of weeks ago and hauled off a lot of junk! Thanks again for letting us bring it home, Mike. What I wouldn't do to own a skid steer. Ha! There might be a few things I wouldn't do.
That was all last weekend. This weekend we went to some friends and took down their old cedar patio cover or portico or whatever you might want to call it. I thought surely I needed the old wood for something??????????? Not sure what Brad thought?????????? But, here is what I got.

Some old wood!!!!!!!!!!!!

But this is the new project so be sure and attend the Garden Tour on May 31st and June 1st so you can check it out when finished.


You guessed it! Another flower bed!

No comments: